In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Siam Society’s Textile Collection




Curator Thweep Rittinaphakorn exhibits and describes some of the textiles in the Siam Society’s collection.


Siam Society.  Bangkok, Thailand.  November 14, 2013.  The Siam Society has a collection of Asian textiles, which have trickled in as donations over many years, but the textiles have never been properly catalogued nor displayed until now, when textile expert, Thweep Rittinaphakorn, has taken charge and is beginning the exacting task of being the curator of the collection.  The purpose of tonight’s lecture, “Textiles Appreciation: An Introduction to the Textile Collection of The Siam Society,” was to introduce us to the collection and to display, for the first time, some of the important textiles in the collection.

According to Kh. Thweep, there are three reasons to be interested in textiles:  (1) their beauty (that describes me); (2) learning about the techniques and materials use to produce artistic textiles, such as the looms and yarns; and (3) as anthropology, that is, what we can learn from textiles about the culture and lives of the people and societies from which they spring. 

I have a beautiful textile hanging in my condo (see photo), but I don’t remember anything about buying it, except that I think it is from northern Thailand.  Had I thought of it, I would have taken a photo to the lecture to ask Kh. Thweep to identify it for me; regardless, I think it is just a beautiful as some of the textiles in the collection.  


From the Siam Society collection.


From the collection.


From the collection.
From the collection.


From the collection.

Textile from northern Thailand, which I bought many years ago and have hanging in my Bangkok condo.
 

Detail of my textile.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service