In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Friday, September 27, 2013

RAF Bomber Command Memorial


 
 
London.  September 25, 2013.  Quite by accident (I was on my way to an architecture exhibit nearby), I passed the new RAF Bomber Command  Memorial located in Green Park, which was unveiled by Queen Elizabeth last year, a few months after my last trip to London ended.  While classically pleasing, I found it singularly unimaginative, which is surprising given the number of renowned contemporary British architects.  What I found shocking is that 55,573 United Kingdom, Commonwealth and allied airmen lost their lives during WWII.  I knew the number was high, but I didn’t know it was this high.  Certainly, they deserve a monument and to be remembered.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service