In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra Delivers Another Enjoyable Program

Italian duo pianists Roberto Metro and Elvira Foti sign programs following their appearance with the Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra


Nakhon Pathom, Thailand. August 21, 2010. The concert hall at the College of Music, Mahidol University, has become my favorite concert venue, and its resident orchestra, the Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra, has become my favorite local orchestra, and it was, therefore, worth the almost two hours it takes me to travel to the Salaya campus using a combination of walking, the Skytrain and bus. This past Saturday afternoon, I was rewarded with a varied program of both new and not so familiar music.


The main work during the first half, was a concerto for piano four hands by the early classical composer Leopold Kozeluh (1747-1818). This performance was a double first for me: I have never heard of Kozeluh and I’ve never attended a public performance of a piano concerto for one piano four hands. The Italian pianists “Metro and Foti” made as much of this slight work as anyone could, and in the process, delivered a thoroughly idiomatic and enjoyable performance.


The remainder of the afternoon was a powerful performance of Paul Hindemith’s symphony “Mathis der Maler.” Although I have a recording of this dramatic music, I can’t recall ever hearing it performed live. The TPO under its permanent conductor Gudni Emilsson, produced a gorgeous and powerful sound, which left the audience spellbound.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service