In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Jatujack Weekend Market


Not great art, but they look okay on my wall, and the price was right.

Bangkok, Thailand.  June 29, 2013.  Bangkok’s sprawling weekend market is probably unique in the world.  It has 11,000 stalls and sells anything you can think of.  It is known for its low prices and variety of goods.  About 350,000 people visit it every weekend, many of them tourists inasmuch as it has become a “must go see” for anyone visiting Thailand.

I wanted some decorative art to fill in some empty spaces on my walls---not fine or original art, just something pretty to spruce up the place.  Having looked around my neighborhood over several months and found nothing I liked, I proceeded to Jatujack knowing that I would locate any number of wall pieces to choose from.  After wandering around for an hour in blazing heat, I came upon an area that had some selection to choose from, and I was quickly in a quandary about what to choose.  After having selected four pieces I liked, the bargaining began and lasted for a while, during which I first walked out of the shop (price too high, I’m insulted), came back, and was then kicked out (price too low, he’s insulted), came back, and we ended with a price satisfactory to both parties, with smiles and congratulations abounding.  Although asked, I didn’t stay for tea (I was too hot).  It’s all part of the obligatory game.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service