In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thailand Celebrates the King’s 85th Birthday


Bangkok, Thailand. December 5, 2012. The revered king of Thailand celebrated his 85th birthday by making a rare public appearance (the king has been hospitalized for over two years), which brought hundreds of thousands of Thais wearing yellow shirts, out to pay respect to the king. I watched the touching event on TV. The distances were way too great for anyone to actually see the king, who appeared far in the distance on the balcony of an ornate building, but people were content to show their devotion by simply showing up. The vastness of the crowd and the pageantry were unique. For my own part, I wore a yellow shirt for the day, and signed a birthday book wishing the king a long life. The king's birthday is also celebrated as Thailand's father's day.
Add Photos of the king and birthday books were located throughout Bangkok for several days prior to the king's birthday. I never passed one that didn't have someone signing the book and, in many cases, there was a line waiting. This one was located across from my condo.caption

I signed the book and wrote my wishes to the king for a continued long life.
The vast crowds in front of the throne room, wearing the royal color yellow, was an impressive and touching sight. I watch the two hours of the "grand public audience" on TV in the comfort of my condo.

After the king read a short speech sitting down (he's confined to a wheelchair), his family joined him on the balcony. The queen was not there because she is ailing and confined to the same hospital with the king.


 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service