In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Thai Version of Miss Saigon Comes to Bangkok


Muangthai Rachadalai Theatre. Bangkok, Thailand. October 10, 2012. I saw the original London production of Miss Saigon in the 1990s (it opened in 1989), and loved it. The two-disc CD by the London cast is one of the CDs I most frequently listen to. I was skeptical of how a Thai version would fare, but I need not have worried: it was terrific. Yes, hearing the familiar lyrics in Thai was a little strange at first, but there were English subtitles, and Miss Saigon is an opera, and I'm used to attending operas where I understand not one word of what is being said or sung on stage. Miss Saigon has been performed by 27 companies in 25 countries and 246 cities, and it has been translated into 12 different languages, so we know that it travels well. Everyone involved in this production was Thai, and it is a tribute to the arts in this country that so difficult a production could be so magnificently staged. The scenery and staging, including the famous helicopter landing in the second act, were as professional as was the original. The voices and acting, although not great, were good enough to be very effective. The dancing was a little routine, but appropriate to the times, and the orchestra was expert. This Miss Saigon was the best theatre experience I've had since coming to Thailand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service