In my Bangkok apartment.
(Click on picture to enlarge).

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Buzz Visits a Monk

My personal trainer, Kh. Mai, became a monk for three weeks at Wat Bowonniwet in Bangkok, where I visited him.

Bangkok, Thailand. April 4, 2012. Most Thai men become monks at least once during their lifetimes, usually during their 20's. The periods of time that they are in the monkhood vary and are a matter of their personal choices. The monks I have known, all of whom have regular jobs, have remained in the monkhood for about three weeks. While they are "buat pen prah," they live at a wat(a temple) and follow the daily routine of a monk, which is quite regimented: awake at 04.00 and meditate and chant until 06.00, at which time the monks go into the neighborhood with the alms bowls to receive food from the faithful, etc. My personal trainer, Mai, became a monk for three weeks at a beautiful wat in Bangkok, Wat Bowonniwet. I visted him there and got some idea of what it is like to be a monk.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Page Counters
Online Flower Delivery Service